The following section outlines the
submitting a dissertation for consideration of the Sardar Patel Award.
If you are interested in submitting a dissertation for consideration,
you MUST follow these specified guidelines.
Each year, an award selection committee comprised of faculty members at UCLA will evaluate each
submission, for its insights into the nature of modern Indian society, the grasp demonstrated by the writer over the theoretical and scholarly literature, and the clarity of exposition and argument. As long as they fulfill ALL of the following criteria.
- The dissertation must be on any topic on Modern India. (The
dates of Modern India are defined as 1800 to the present)
- The topic must also fall within in the following fields of
study: History, Social Sciences, Humanities, Education, or the Fine Arts.
- Dissertations submitted for consideration in the competition should have been completed in certain time frame please conctact us for the details.
- The dissertation must be written while enrolled at an US accredited university in history, anthropology, sociology, literature, political science, or one of the other disciplines in the humanities, the arts, and the social sciences.
- Submit TWO hard (preferably bound) copies of the dissertation, SEVEN copies of an abstract of 500-1000 words, ONE copy of their curriculum vitae, and a letter from the dissertation supervisor or the department chair attesting to the completion of the dissertation during the stipulated period in item #3.
- Dissertation materials must be postmarked by specific date Please contact us for the details.
- Submissions should be sent to:
Dr. Akhil Gupta, Chair, IDP South Asian Studies; Director, UCLA Center for India and South
Asia; Professor, Anthropology
Chair, Sardar Patel Award Committee
Center for India and South Asia • 11387 Bunche Hall • Los Angeles, CA 90095-1487
Campus Mail Code: 148703 • Tel: 310-206-2654 • Fax: 310-206-3555 • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Dissertations will not be returned. By submitting their dissertation for consideration, they also agree to have the abstract of their dissertation placed on the website of the Sardar Patel Association. The winner(s) will be expected to attend a ceremony in Los Angeles at which the award will be conferred, and they are also expected to acknowledge the Sardar Patel Association in any publications related to the subject matter of the dissertation.
For further information on these guidelines please send an email or correspondence to: email@example.com